Still Unable to use TLS
Gerard Seibert
2006-01-21 22:38:12 UTC
One of the computers on my network has SmartFTP installed (latest
version) For whatever reason, it is unable to make a connection with the
pure-ftpd server running on a FreeBSD 5.4 system.

I have followed all of the directions on the pure-ftpd page for
configuring it to work with SmartFTP.

FTP of SSL (explicit)
Clear data connection
Mode: TLS

This is the output from a connection attempt.

SmartFTP v1.5.991.31
Resolving host name "www2.seibercom.net"
Connecting to 216.45.217.148 Port: 21
Connected to www2.seibercom.net.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 2 of 50 allowed.
220-<<
220-%% $FreeBSD: src/games/fortune/datfiles/zippy,v 1.3 2002/04/28 21:59:07 dougb Exp $
220-A can of ASPARAGUS, 73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo, and a FROZEN DAQUIRI!!
220->>
220-Local time is now 17:16. Server port: 21.
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
AUTH TLS
234 AUTH TLS OK.
Connected. Exchanging encryption keys...
Session Cipher: 128 bit RC4
TLS encrypted session established.
PBSZ 0
200 PBSZ=0
USER XXX
331 User XXX OK. Password required
PASS (hidden)
230-User XXX has group access to: wheel XXX
230 OK. Current directory is /usr/home/XXX
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Extensions supported:
EPRT
IDLE
MDTM
SIZE
REST STREAM
MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
MLSD
ESTP
PASV
EPSV
SPSV
ESTA
AUTH TLS
PBSZ
PROT
211 End.
Detected Server Software: PureFTPd
PWD
257 "/usr/home/XXX" is your current location
PROT C
200 OK
CCC
500 Unknown command
TYPE A
200 TYPE is now ASCII
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,2,219,45)
Opening data connection to 216.45.217.148 Port: 56109
MLSD
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not
properly respond after a period of time, or established connection
failed because connected host has failed to respond.

After the MLSD listing, there is a 30 period and then the connection
failed line appears. I have run out of ideas as to why it is not working.
If I do not use SSL, it works just fine. What else should I be looking
into?

Also, what is with:

500 Unknown command
TYPE A

entry. I cannot figure out what it is all about either.
--
Gerard Seibert
***@seibercom.net

Rajat Upadhyaya
2006-01-23 06:22:08 UTC
Post by Gerard Seibert
CCC
500 Unknown command
TYPE A
200 TYPE is now ASCII
500 Unknown command
TYPE A
entry. I cannot figure out what it is all about either.
The "500 Unknown command" reply is in response to the CCC command sent
by the client. CCC command (which enables usage of a clear control
channel) is not supported in Pure-FTPd. Hence the server replies
"Unknown command". The "TYPE A" is a different command altogether (for
using ASCII as the data representation type). The reply for that is the
"200 TYPE is now ASCII" part, basically okaying the TYPE command.

Regards,
Rajat

Gerard Seibert
2006-01-23 10:58:04 UTC
Post by Rajat Upadhyaya
Hi,
Post by Gerard Seibert
CCC
500 Unknown command
TYPE A
200 TYPE is now ASCII
500 Unknown command
TYPE A
entry. I cannot figure out what it is all about either.
The "500 Unknown command" reply is in response to the CCC command sent
by the client. CCC command (which enables usage of a clear control
channel) is not supported in Pure-FTPd. Hence the server replies
"Unknown command". The "TYPE A" is a different command altogether (for
using ASCII as the data representation type). The reply for that is the
"200 TYPE is now ASCII" part, basically okaying the TYPE command.
Regards,
Rajat
OK, but that does not explain why the system just hangs though, or does
it? Do you have any suggestions as to how to correct the problem I am
having?

Thanks!
--
Gerard Seibert
***@seibercom.net

Rajat Upadhyaya
2006-01-24 09:32:14 UTC
Post by Gerard Seibert
OK, but that does not explain why the system just hangs though, or does
it?
No, it doesn't explain why the system hangs. AFAIK the failure of CCC
shouldn't cause any such side effects on data transfer. Couldn't think
of anything else though.

Regards,
Rajat